Serves 2. To serve more, just double or triple as necessary.
Yes, this is grilled, and it’s as fun to make as it is to eat.
- 1 whole heart of romaine
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- 3 – 4 slices ready cooked bacon, crumbled
- Parmesano Reggiano, grated over top
- Heat grill to medium
- Slice a thin 1/16 off the core end of the head, just to clean it up.
- Cut lengthways down the middle of romaine making two equal halves.
- Brush all of each half with olive oil, and place cut side down on grill.
- Grill only a couple of minutes, just until leaves begin to wilt. Turn and repeat.
- Remove from grill and place cut side up on plate.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar on each half, then shred cheese on top.
- Crumble bacon over and top with a light drizzle of olive oil.
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.